- The Ejection of Tucker Carlson Is a Classic “Reverse Ferret” by Rupert Murdoch
- Dominion Was Never Going to Save Our Democracy From Fox News
- In Pentagon Leak, the Problem Is What’s Classified, Not What Gets Out
- Americans Don’t Care About the Iraqi Dead. They Don’t Even Care About Their Own.
- Trump’s Last Defense Secretary Has Regrets, but Not About Jan. 6
- The Warning Lights Are Flashing Red for America
- Reality Winner, Whistleblower on Russian Hacking, Is Released From Prison
- Crude World
- New York Review of Books
- The Atlantic
- Palestine Hotel
- Crude World Book
- New Yorker
- War Diaries
- Love Thy Neighbor
- Nobel Prize/Peter Handke
- Film Criticism
- Murdochs/Fox News
- New Republic
- Book Reviews
- Surveillance and Privacy
- The Toppling
- New York Times
- Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan
- Bosnia 1992-1993
- Washington Post
- America’s Fortified Capital Awaits a President’s Inauguration
January 19, 2021
THE CAPITAL IS a city of soldiers. They are in the different states of alertness that soldiers inhabit depending on what’s happening around them. They are patrolling, they are on guard, they are sleeping — and they are gawking like tourists at the statues of a nation that has been stunned into a ...
- Hiding Covid-19: How the Trump Administration Suppresses Photography of the Pandemic
December 27, 2020
AS COVID-19 TORE through the United States in the spring, a senior official in the Trump administration quietly reinforced a set of guidelines that prevented journalists from getting inside all but a handful of hospitals at the front line of the pandemic. The guidelines, citing the medical privacy law known as HIPAA, suggested ...
- Why Fox News Can’t Afford to Quit Donald Trump
November 19, 2020
AT FOX NEWS, a funny thing happened on the road to redemption.
As Donald Trump fell behind in the presidential vote count, Fox began pivoting away from the reality TV star it had backed for so many years. There was an early announcement by Fox that Arizona had been won by Joe Biden. There was ...
- As Trump Is Defeated, the Murdochs Try to Dodge Backlash for Fox News
November 6, 2020
A BEHIND-THE-SCENES STRUGGLE that could determine the extent of post-election violence in America is breaking into the open, but it’s not at the White House or inside the GOP. It is within the billionaire Murdoch family, the owners of Fox News.
On Friday morning, a day before Joe Biden was declared president-elect, one of ...
- Trump Built His Own Green Zone. He Got the Wall He Deserves.
June 5, 2020
An array of what might be described as the accessories and devices of dictatorship have expanded with infectious ruthlessness in American cities. The police swinging batons wildly, the paramilitary forces refusing to identify themselves, the hysterical president trying to incite war, the vigilantes in league with the police, military helicopters clattering overhead, ...