- The Ejection of Tucker Carlson Is a Classic “Reverse Ferret” by Rupert Murdoch
- Dominion Was Never Going to Save Our Democracy From Fox News
- In Pentagon Leak, the Problem Is What’s Classified, Not What Gets Out
- Americans Don’t Care About the Iraqi Dead. They Don’t Even Care About Their Own.
- Trump’s Last Defense Secretary Has Regrets, but Not About Jan. 6
- How Lachlan Murdoch Went From Studying Philosophy to Exploiting White Nationalism at Fox News
- Fox News Is Poisoning America. Rupert Murdoch and His Heirs Should Be Shunned.
- Crude World
- New York Review of Books
- The Atlantic
- Palestine Hotel
- Crude World Book
- New Yorker
- War Diaries
- Love Thy Neighbor
- Nobel Prize/Peter Handke
- Film Criticism
- Murdochs/Fox News
- New Republic
- Book Reviews
- Surveillance and Privacy
- The Toppling
- New York Times
- Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan
- Bosnia 1992-1993
- Washington Post
- Dark Essays By White House Staffer Are the Intellectual Source Code of Trumpism
February 12, 2017
Let’s say you are a top official on the National Security Council and Donald Trump requests a memo explaining the purpose of his chaotic presidency. What are the odds you would draft a 4,000-word essay arguing that America is like a doomed aircraft that’s been hijacked by terrorists in which Trump has ...
- What Slobodan Milosevic Taught Me About Donald Trump
February 7, 2017
During his inaugural address, Donald Trump deployed rhetoric that was familiar to anyone who spent time in the Balkans in the 1990s. “You will never be ignored again,” Trump thundered, with Congress as his backdrop. He expanded on the idea a few days later, during a visit to the Department of Homeland ...
- In Just 10 Days, President Trump Has Split the Government Into Warring Factions
January 31, 2017
War has broken out, not on foreign territory or on our streets, but in the offices and hallways of the departments and agencies that create and execute the laws, policies, and regulations of the United States. Its sights and sounds are those of a bureaucracy in crisis: drafts of a dissent cable ...
- Should Officials Resign When the Government Goes Crazy?
January 29, 2017
You are a dedicated civil servant and you have loyally performed your job for years, but suddenly you are confronted with tasks and policies that horrify you. Should you carry on, or should you quit?
This unusual question is presenting itself with urgent regularity as President Trump tries to overturn a wide array ...
- Obama’s Gift to Trump: A Policy of Cracking Down on Journalists and Their Sources
April 6, 2016
ONE OF THE intellectual gargoyles that has crawled out of Donald Trump’s brain is the idea that we should “open up” libel laws to make it easier to punish the media for negative or unfair stories. Trump also wants top officials to sign nondisclosure agreements, so they never write memoirs that upset ...